Thursday 14 August 2014

Why don't you just walk?

I have nothing against walking.  Walking is good. I walk a lot. I even like the Walking Dead.

Generally speaking, walking is highly convenient.  Some people find it relaxing or maybe even refreshing.
'Why don't you just walk'
This is probably the most common question I get asked when riding around on some form of transport that doesn't require pedalling or driving, e.g., on a Segway Personal Transporter or electric unicycle... closely followed by comments such as "you're cheating" or the highly original "lazy bastard" - I've never heard that one before!

It seems strange to me that I never hear these comments, or get asked 'why don't you just walk', whilst riding my bicycle or when driving my car - or when sitting inside a bus.   And for the latter, there is plenty of opportunity to ask when I am stuck in traffic, travelling at an average of only 8MPH.

Let's be clear - not everyone can walk.  Not everyone can walk as far as they would like and not everyone who can walk has the time or inclination to travel to their intended destination by walking.  Sometimes walking just won't do.

I can walk.  I walk when I have to and walk when I want to.  But for me, walking is just one of many options available to help me get around.
'How far am I going?'
and
'How fast do I want to get there?'
These questions, often posed subconsciously, usually help people determine an appropriate mode of transport, whether it be walking, cycling, driving a car or using public transport - or a combination of these transportation staples.

When I ride my Segway PT or unicycle, I am typically replacing a journey I would make in my car.  Sometimes I choose these forms of transport purely for the fun factor, enjoying the journey more than the final destination; nipping to the shop never seemed so much fun.

It boils down to choice: I like to choose how I travel and I like to choose when, where and how I exercise.  I don't want to be constrained by somebody else's idea of how I should get about and how I should exercise.  If they would rather get their exercise by walking everywhere - that is fine.  Each to their own!  I exercise on my terms and as long as I can choose how I travel, I will continue to do so.

So if you ask me 'why don't you just walk', I might refer you to this blog or ask:
'Why don't you just think?'

No comments:

Post a Comment